Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
AutoCad 3D #9720 07/28/06 05:01 PM
C
Colton Allen Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hello, I am using the 3d features of AutoCad to draw Timberframes with all the pieces and joinery and then pulling the pieces out and dimensioning them for my shop drawings. Is anyone else doing this or similar?It doesn't take me long to creat a full 3d model of a frame w/ all joinery but creating dimensioned shop drawings of each piece for cutting is some what time consuming. Does anyone have any good tips or tricks they would like to share?
I am also having a problem with printing 3d objects.
When I print w/ hidden line off, all the lineweights become the same so on complicated pieces it is hard to distinguish the piece from all the dimensions.

Any help is appreciated.

Colton

Re: AutoCad 3D #9721 08/22/06 09:06 PM
S
sid Offline
S
3D AutoCAD is tricky. I created my own "graphic" to visualize what plane I'm working in. As for dimensioning, I haven't had much luck so I rely on conventional 2D. Edges are hard to find in 3D and the dimension only projects in the plane our in (I think) I notice that Jack Sobon's drawings are nicely dimensioned, so I've wondered if he's addiong dimensions by hand. AS for prining, why would you print with hidden lines off?

Re: AutoCad 3D #9722 12/03/06 04:20 PM
P
Paul Freeman Offline
P
There are very many people using AutoCAD for Timber Frame design and detailing. Quite a few are using AutoCAD "add-ons" or customized software to draw frames and architectural plans. These customized versions of AutoCAD do everything from detailing to providing code to machinery to cut the pieces. But this technology is useful even for non machine shops. Some of us have automated layout functions written into AutoCAD so that we can "unwrap" each piece and dimension each surface. Post again to this forum if you're interested in more, and email me paul@spbrooks.com since I don't visit here regularaly.

Re: AutoCad 3D #9723 12/31/06 03:14 PM
E
E.H.Carpentry Offline
E
Hi all,

I am new on this board and have been reading a lot of postings in here. Some of them interesting and some of them I found just amusing. So it took me some time to decide whether or not I should sign up. Well, I did.
As to timber frame software: I think that for any serious timber framer who likes to cut and raise frames rather than sit in the office figuring out how to layout, join and dimension the individual frame members, at least I do not enjoy too much time in the office, why has no one looked into German designed programs? When it comes to tools all that is available comes from good old Germany, since Timber frames have been and still are a big tradition there. So of course they have tools to fabricate them. Unfortunately only some are available here in the US but they are certainly unchallenged and in my opinion the best available.
Regarding Software: Certainly Dietrich's is offering programs to do exactly what you folks are trying to break your heads over and there are other's. There is Weto and Sema for example. All three of them do the same thing for you at similar price tags. Even though neither Weto nor Sema has representatives in the States they are offering online support, where if you get stuck and cannot figure out what to do next, they can log into your program look at what you are trying to do and help you fix it. But that aside those programs are so user friendly that you do not even need to read a manual. Here is why. While you put in your dimensions the program asks you for the next data it will need in a small dialog box at the bottom of the screen while at the same time on the right hand side of the screen you can see your frame evolve and how it changes with each dimension you put in. Also you can look at it in a 3D Mode, spin, turn and zoom. Make changes within any mode and it will transfer automatically all changes. When you are done designing your frame you can print out a material list, price list and detailed shop drawings with the push of a button. It will give you dimensions for the frame members and also the cut angles you need for the saws etc.. There is no need to add dimensions individually unless you think you need it. And not only that you can design your entire house (not just the frame) in and out (siding, windows....cabinets...) and then walk through it. This would be helpful for your clients of course. And if you want you can skip the engineer and have the program do the beam dimensioning to make sure it will be able to carry the loads.
Of course the programs, as have mentioned, come with the price tag you are used to for well made equipment. But you can get bargains usually at the end of the year. I just bought software that would add up to somewhere near the 12000 Euro figure for unbelievable 980 Euro. With the customer care package I automatically get the latest version of the program and free updates for three years. I can cancel the contract at any time and keep the program.
And for those who do not want to spend 10+Grand or more, one can also rent their software for however many month you need it.
So again, unless you like to spent hours drawing a frame line by line and then dimension it..........forget about plain Cad programs. If you are building several frames a year you will get your moneys worth.
Oh, and of course these programs do provide codes for any CNC machine out there, be it Hundegger or Schmidler or any other one. Just contact them and they will be happy to assist you in finding the right program configuration. And even though there web pages are in German, if you contact them via e-mail they will get back to you with a rep that is capable of the English language. You will even get an online demonstration of how the program works before you commit to anything.

I hope this does not sound too snobby/ arrogant but I thought I put it out there. Just something to consider, since these issues seem to come back over and over again.
And no, I am not a sales rep for any of those companies but might as well be. laugh

I wish all of you a HAPPY AND SUCCESSFUL NEW YEAR

Edited- for spelling

Re: AutoCad 3D #9724 12/31/06 10:09 PM
Dave Shepard Offline
I thought you were going for a shameless plug for a minute. laugh I agree, some of the best things in life are German. (I am of German decent also wink )

Dave

Member, Timber Framers Guild
Re: AutoCad 3D #9725 01/01/07 04:16 AM
E
E.H.Carpentry Offline
E
Hi Dave,

I might have gotten a little over exited about the software.
But there seem to be a lot of guys working with Timbercad which I do not know anything about. But from what I can guess out of the posting here it seems to be nothing else but a computerized drawing board where one still has to dimension manually, figure out shop drawings and machine angles.
Like I said in my previous posting those programs will do exactly that and a lot more for you. They can also be used for Log homes and stick framing. And if you are going to use them every day the price is justified, in my opinion anyway.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc, Paul Freeman 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users