Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: More Sketchup Tricks #9805 03/25/07 11:03 PM
P
pegs_1 Offline
P
Mark,

When you do the divide function. It actually takes the line and makes it into seperate lines. Say for instance you did a 4 dot divide. Then there would be 5 seperate lines.

So now if you want to set for example rafters. All you have to do is select the rafter you want to copy .

But when you select....zoom in until you have grabbed the center of the rafter at the same point you put the line you divided. Now all you have to do is slide the rafter down the line (kinda slowly) and watch for it to say "END OF LINE". When you reach that point on the line it will be at one of the points you had a red dot at. If you watch your measurements in the lower right had screen you can tell when you are close then just watch for the "END of Line" and left click. Your rafter will now be OC on the red dot. You can move all the way down the line that way just move/copy and select.

BTW if you find it difficult to find the center of the rafter or that involves to much orbiting around you can also just move it from the corner of the rafter then select on the "end of Line" then if its a 8" rafter, just move it another 4"s then you would also be OC.

Re: More Sketchup Tricks #9806 03/25/07 11:11 PM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
gotcha....

Re: More Sketchup Tricks #9807 03/28/07 03:42 PM
P
pegs_1 Offline
P
Quote:
Originally posted by Derek J Swanger:
I just ran into my first snafu with sketchup. I was trying to draw the golden rectangle. Like the one if you were to wikipedia "golden rectangle" I was drawing the circle around the square and the circle wasn't connecting to one corner of the square. It should be the same radius. Hmmmm

Message edit: to add it was connecting to one corner of the square and wasn't connecting to the other. I still can't get it to work.
Hey swanger, I found you meant by the circle not intersecting the corner of the rectangle. Did you find a way to to do that?

I haven't had much more time to mess with it.

I wonder if there is a mathimatical constant for the angle.

If there was then you could go to the center dot and shoot an angle off. So long as the angle was always the same. Math was never my best class...
Must be some engineer math wizards that can answer that question.

Re: More Sketchup Tricks #9808 03/28/07 04:21 PM
Joe Bartok Offline
I don't know anything about SketchUp but here's a construction of the Golden Rectangle that may help you scale the radius of the circle.

Construct a square and bisect the bottom edge.
Produce the bottom edge.
Draw an arc as shown to determine the length of the bottom edge of the Golden Rectangle.

No engineering or math wizardry ... just good old Euclidean geometry. smile

EDIT: The radius is the diagonal of a rectangle with the ratio of the sides being 2:1.
The angle measured between the radius and the produced edge = arctan 2 = 63.43495°.

Re: More Sketchup Tricks #9809 03/29/07 12:06 AM
T
timberwrestler Offline
T
I saw EH had a nice woody fill for his gambrel barn model. Anyone know where I can find that?

Along the same lines, does SU have any decent windows? I think they only had Anderson windows on their library thingy. Seems like with everyone using SU every manufacturer would be clamoring to get they're products on that library.

Thanks,
Brad

Re: More Sketchup Tricks #9810 03/29/07 12:19 AM
E
E.H.Carpentry Offline
E
Timberwrestler

I do not know if you can download textures of the internet. If SU allows that ,then you could just google "Wood Textures" or something like that. Just pick whatever suites you best and somehow copy it into SU.
Not much of a computer type of guy. I cannot tell you how to do the copy kind of deal.If the programm has it installed fine. If the programm provider offers it as an update I can manage but to change settings that is a book with seven seals to me. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

P.S.: I am not actually using SU if that is what you were thinking. The texture is part of the programm texture option.

Re: More Sketchup Tricks #9811 03/29/07 02:17 AM
P
pegs_1 Offline
P
I haven't tired it yet, but if you browse your materials list. You will see all of the materials have a .jpg extention. That suggests they are not a unique SU extention file type, but rather just a thumbnail of a jpg.

It seems you should be able to make your own lumber, or copy one. Then make it a jpg file and move it into your materials file.

Once you get it in there you can as with the rest of the materials manipulate it there.

For instance.....If you are using T&G flooring/ceiling. You can change the width of the boards change the direction the boards run to any angle. and a few other head scratchers I haven't figured out yet.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc, Paul Freeman 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users