Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Chief Architect?? #9812 03/19/07 12:57 PM
M
MTF Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hello,

Is anybody using Chief Architect for timber frame building design?

Thanks, pete

Re: Chief Architect?? #9813 03/19/07 01:53 PM
J
Jim Rogers Offline
J
I'm currently using it to just design the shell of the frame. And to make some construction drawings for permits, such as elevations and floor plans.

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: Chief Architect?? #9814 03/20/07 12:26 AM
E
E.H.Carpentry Offline
E
MTF,

I used to own the 9.5 version and truthfully I hated it. The 10.0 might be better but I did not even dare to try it. The program was not very untuitive to me and once you got to roof designs or changes it was hopeless. Also it is designed for stickframing.
That is not to say that it can't be modified for timber designs. But I think you might be better of to get the FREE sketchup. That seems to do alright for basic timber frame designs.

Chief Architect basically lets you design a house( that is if you can figure out how to think like the program) including landscape design and interior. Good for building plans and to show your customers. But for timber frames you might have to use something else. Only thing you might be able to use is the 2D-CAD modus.

Just my two cents.

Re: Chief Architect?? #9815 03/20/07 12:09 PM
M
MTF Offline OP
OP Offline
M
thanks guys,

EH, we gravitated to chief architect for the reasons you stated. We are looking for a ‘simple’ to it all program that is well versed at 3D concept development and architectural renderings. The 3D model is than used directly and simply to generate construction/permitting plans. Chief architect appears to do that quite well for stick framing, but we are struggling with incorporating a timber framed design. We have also had some issues with the roofs, for stick. We are just getting to the timber roof and I think that may be the end for chief architect, we’ll have to see.

Just a little more history for ya all. Another gentleman is doing the design work and we have used AutoCad with success for 2D drawings but really wanted a ‘concept’ tool. I understand Skecthup is used by many successfully for the concept work and than another tool is used for the construction drawing work. We were hoping that chief architect might be able to do it all. The concept stuff from chief architect is really very nice. I know there is a very nice ongoing thread addressing the use of Sketchup and maybe I’d be better spending time with Sketchup, but we’ve started looking into chief architect and we’ll just continue down this path for a while longer.

Jim,
How have you found chief architect for your work?

I will probably post a few specific questions/problems. If we are able to work through them, great, if not, we may have to move on.

Thanks again,
Pete

Re: Chief Architect?? #9816 03/20/07 01:52 PM
J
Jim Rogers Offline
J
As I mentioned I use it for helping the customer visualize their project.
Here is one example:

This frame is 26' deep and 34' wide, with the roof ridge going the 26' way, so that the gable end for loading hay into the loft faces the street. With a 12/12 pitch this roof is very tall, and may exceed some restrictions put on by the historical commission for the town where it will be located.

An alternative plan is this:

Now the ridge runs the 34' way and the gable could be larger for loading the hay from the street side.
I'll be showing these designs to the customer tomorrow evening and get some feed back for the design development.

Chief maybe used to present the finial designs to the historical commission so that they can see what the finished barn will look like (if I get the contract).

These are some of the ways I use Chief Architect to provide services to my customers.

Jim Rogers

PS.The first design took an hour to create the modified design took 45 minutes or less.

Re: Chief Architect?? #9817 03/20/07 01:59 PM
J
Jim Rogers Offline
J
MTF:
If you'd like to get some more info on Chief, and Chief user meetings, send me an email, or call me.
Jim Rogers

Re: Chief Architect?? #9818 03/21/07 02:32 AM
E
E.H.Carpentry Offline
E
@ Jim,

did you try to design anything with a more complicated design and different roof heights and dormers anywhere on the roof and not created with the "dormer over window" feature? I managed to draw houses like the one you are showing but this was the end of it,too.

From a $2000 program I would expect more than that. And to ask $300-600 for classes that are supposed to help you use the program is a shame.

This is why I sold my version of it and am using something else with FREE online support and FREE classes.

Re: Chief Architect?? #9819 03/21/07 11:12 AM
M
MTF Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks Jim, very nice concept sketches.

We’ve been able to generate similar sketches using chief architect for conventionally framed buildings and are just starting on timber framed concept sketches.

How do you find chief architect for the next stage, 2d drawing development? Is it manageable for timber frames? I may take you up on the offer for help, we’re spending some time making sure we understand our questions!

Good luck with your project.

EH
What are you using?

Thanks,
Pete

Re: Chief Architect?? #9820 03/21/07 02:10 PM
J
Jim Rogers Offline
J
MTF:
The reason I mentioned or asked for your email address is we have a user meeting coming up here in the greater Boston area on the 31st and thought you might like to drive over and join us. We could discuss it in detail there and then...
Just let me know or check out the user forum Chieftalk and look in the Boston section for details.

Jim Rogers

Re: Chief Architect?? #9821 03/21/07 09:45 PM
E
E.H.Carpentry Offline
E
MTF,

I am using a German designed Program that lets me "build" stickframe houses as well as Timberframes. I bought it last year as a year end sale and got a bargain on it. Pricetag was insicnificanlty higher than Chief Architect with all bells and whistles.
It has three components: Roof and stickframe designer, Timberframe designer mostly for walls but also for roofs, and the house planer that does what you find in Chief Architect. Only drawback is the German User Surface. They are working on an Englisch version available by the end of this year. Name: Weto. There are two other companies that offer an equal product: Dietrich and Sema. Any off those programs are designed specifically for Timberframing. Be warned though off the streetprice for any them. If you will end up using it every day though it is money well spend and less frustation.

Re: Chief Architect?? #9822 03/21/07 10:52 PM
R
Rough Sawn Offline
R
I'm having an on again/off again battle with Chief with limited results. Please keep us informed on your progress. I'd love to see if concept frames as well as precise joint layouts can be done with it. Please post pictures of whatever you get done as inspiration.

I think it's invaluable in creating concept sketches and beautiful renderings. There is some mind-boggling stuff on the Chief site. But so far, as soon as I want to get down to the nitty-gritty, I reach for the pencil and paper.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc, Paul Freeman 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users