Print Thread
Rate Thread
Timber Framed Straw Bale Homes #9842 05/16/03 11:44 PM
J
J. ODonnell Offline OP
OP Offline
J
My questions from the regular forum are:
1. What's the best, most economical foundation? Keep in mind that I live in Maine.
-Floating slab
-Poured concrete w/basement
-Poured concrete w/o basement just a frostwall
-Cement block using surface bonding. Used alot w/cordwood masonry.

2. How do you incorporate the straw bale walls with a basement, if I choose to have one. There needs to be a sill of some sort to set the bales on. I'm under the impression that the timber frame will be setting on it. Would you need to have 28" or 30" thick concrete walls...... this seems ridiculous? Enlighten me please.

3. What could I use for insulation on the roof? I'm not really interested in thatched roofs, could I used 2X12's with fiberglass insulation or is there a better method. Stress skin panels, from what I hear, are very expensive.

4. What is used for a chase when wiring or plumbing. Is there a metal channel of some sort used. What about conduit. Obviously you don't want the pipes to sweat and get the straw wet. What is used here.

5. What about exterior. I'd like to used stained clap boards on top of the stucco. I know a lot of people stick with the cheap low maintenance stucco or clay. How would I attach the boards or anything that I'd normally just nail? After all the bales will most likely be 18" thick.

Re: Timber Framed Straw Bale Homes #9843 05/18/03 12:31 PM
B
Bob Smith Offline
B
There is a ton of information available on the Web, including a bulletin board similar to this one, strictly for straw bale issues. I would also suggest reading "Serious Straw Bale". Good luck with your project.

Bob

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users