Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Autoclaved Aerated Concrete Products #9867 02/04/05 11:22 PM
J
J.S. Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I am looking into using Autoclaved Aerated Concrete Products as an alternative enclodure system to structural insulated panels. AAC blocks or horizontal panels are options, but I don,t know if this has been tried before. Does anyone have any info, pros and cons on using this Product to enclose a timber frame? How and what kind of fasteners can be used on the horizontal panels to not first of all weaken the panels and second of all, not to have the fasteners visible from the inside? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
J.S.

Re: Autoclaved Aerated Concrete Products #9868 02/05/05 02:23 AM
E
Emmett Greenleaf Offline
E
are these products using Xypex in their creation to make them forever waterproof /

Re: Autoclaved Aerated Concrete Products #9869 02/06/05 03:49 AM
J
J.S. Offline OP
OP Offline
J
The AAC blocks or panels are not waterproof themselves as far as I know, the coat of stucco you apply to the outside makes it waterproof to the best of my knowledge.
AAC products have been used extensively in all of europe for the last 50 or more years. AAC blocks are white and similar in size as the grey coloured north american concrete blocks. Except they are much lighter ( they actually float in water), are almost soundproof, termiteproof,are super energy efficient and really easy to work with. They can be mortared or glued together and you can cut them to size with an ordinary hand saw.No need for insulation or vapour barrier either.
Panels require fasteners however, this is why I am looking for info. Does anyone out there know if AAC blocks or panels have been tried as an enclosure system for a timber frame?

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users