Print Thread
Rate Thread
moving my barn #9870 10/09/05 04:16 AM
D
del Offline OP
OP Offline
D
hello everyone,

I need some help to figure out how to move a small barn-like structure. its just up the road ( about 2000 ft. away) It is and old structure but seems strong. the main floor ceiling is low and the floor has frost heaved un-evenly. Is it possible to jack up the blg. in some manner to move intact? :rolleyes: I believe the barn was a piggery or at least that is what they called it.
please help del

del
Re: moving my barn #9871 10/09/05 01:33 PM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
what is the actual size of the barn??
Can you tell if there are timbers at the bottom of the walls(the sills)??? If the sills are there and in good shape, it may be possible to move the building... if the sills are looking rotten, you are most likely out of luck or the sills will have to be replaced before moving.
Are there power lines in the way?
Talk to a house mover in your area for the real storey.
This post would have been better in the barns and traditional timberframing forum.... I think it may still be possible to move it over?

Re: moving my barn #9872 10/11/05 01:39 AM
N
northern hewer Offline
N
HI Dell:

Well it sounds to me like a smallish type of timber frame structure, but even if it is a studded frame and the sill is in good shape it is moveable.

Some years ago I moved just such a building, and the way that I did it was to jack it up high enought to get two long hydro poles under it, and far enough out at the front to work with.

I then asked my neighbours to help me with their tractors, and we hooked one on each pole, and one in the centre, and away we went (not down the road, but across the field).

I would not suggest going on a travelled roadway, if this is the only way then you would have to have a professional mover do this with proper paperwork,

good luck
NH

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users