Chris, I am relocating to Big Island Hawaii as soon as my Michigan Farm/Home sells. I want to build a Pavillion on our Hawaii land and LOVE the Asian influenced roof designs, Korean and or Japanese. I attended Heartwood this summer for 1 week TF and a 2wk homebuilder class. I am wondering if you or someplace else you know of may have plans, or drawings of a simple asian open pavillion, or similar if my naming is off. We need a roof to have some dry space to gather, eat, relax, play music etc...
I will eventually build a TF Home on our 5 acres, but currently my wife has been tenting it for 4 MONTHS!! We have a sun-shade fabric 10' x 20; up over the camp now. I am headed there in Nov for 10 days and then again in Dec for 16 days. Hoping to get up a simple structure while there. I guess I just wonder if there is a set of plans or could I see a few pics or drawings of similar to inspire or guide me in this adventure. My wife is from Kuala Lumpur , Malaysia and I am a longtime student of Eastern studies and Martial Arts. I have building skills, but am not a super math genious. I am rambling to give the best idea of who I am and what I may have in the way of skill sets and ideas running wild in my head. I may go with a traditional thatch roof, or maybe raised seam steel for now and then thatch as I can afford it. We have access to Swamp Mahogany (Eucalyptus Robusta) as well as to some Ohia logs. This struture does not have to pass a Japanese traditional inspection, but I hope it gives the flavor of Asia to some degree and sets a meditative mood to those who approach and enjoy it's shelter. Thinking of maybe 15'x20' or so...and ideas, thoughts or...Thanks in advance, Bobby G laugh

Bobby Grimes