Hi Bobby,

I found that picture on the web by doing a search of Japanese pages under 'azumaya' (written in Japanese characters) - so I can't refer you to a book for further pictures, and that picture was the only one on the page.
If you can find any books on Japanese gardens, you may be able to come across a picture of an azumaya, but I can't think of any titles in particular to refer ypu towards. Sorry!
There are some books in Japanese that I have which have drawings of designs for Azumaya, but those books are not available except from Japan - and they are in Japanese anyway, which i will assume you don't read. I'd send you a picture or two from the one I have, but unfortunately that book is in storage back in B.C. and I am currently in the Eastern US.
Thanks for your interest in the workshops . There is something scheduled for Spring in Seattle as far as what is upcoming. It will be a two week class.
Do you have the skills currently to frame a hipped roof? I'm afraid you will need to deal with a bit of mathematics for that, or have facility with descriptive geometry.
If you want something quick and durable for 10-20 years, requiring no math or geometry, then you might want to consider a wired-pole structure. There was an old Fine homebuilding with an article on that from many years ago. I've done it - it just involves learning how to do a simple knot with wire to lash timbers together. If the timbers shrink, the wire knots can be readily tightened. It's an idea.

Chris

My blog on carpentry practice, East and West:

https://thecarpentryway.blog