Greetings Chris,
Hope all is well on the other side of the continent. Say, for several years now I've had some nagging questions regarding a few different log layout senarios. Perhaps you might have some insight?
My first question arose after viewing photos of Harrelson Stanley's bath house. That structure employed round/log noki keta in conjunction with transverse and longitudinal hari . In many instances, members that will have housings and female dovetails will be flattened, this of course facilitates quick layout and cutout. On such a piece, taiko , right??, the correct depth of housing and dovetail is easily obtained by indexing off of the created flat plane which is parallel with the vertical axis. What puzzles me is how to achieve the correct depth on a completley round member. One can layout these depths on the ends and transfer them to the surface as I noticed in a photo, but how to utilize them? Let's say that it was decided that backs of dovetails would be five sun from centerline and that the backs of housings would be six sun five bu from centerline. Three parallel, verticle lines representing center, back of housing, and back of dovetail would be made on each end, and six lines snapped between them. Also a horizontal axis would be established on each end representing the elevation of the bottom facet of the male log, and a line snapped. By using hikari to transfer the profile of the male log onto the female log, the lines representing the side facets would rise up from the bottom line and connect with the top "housing" line. The bottom "housing" line will lie below the bottom facet line and therefore doesn't seem usefull. It might in the case of a through dovetail, but not in this case. Help Mister Wizard smile Take Care, Michael