Thanks for responding Chris smile ,
The notion of using sashigane as winding sticks occured to me awhile ago, but I must have suppressed it in hopes that an easier method dawned on me. A Smatlevel perhaps ?
You've brought up a very important point regarding the soundness of the hari to log keta connection. The more I reflect on it, I realize that Harrelson's building is the only structure where I recall seeing this done. I'm curious as to the joinery employed in round engawa-keta hip junctures? Aside from the "funky" joint shown Wood Joints in Classical Japanese Architecture?
Also, are you aware of a general stategy for organizing the layout of many hari , overlapping each other longitudanly and transversely. My only experience is with transvere hari , which is very straight forward. The dense web we see in many minka roof structures baffles me confused James showed me a picture of logs that had layout marks on them from a shop in Japan. It seems that what I was seeing was the ten line and then lines representing distances above and below ten . Do you suppose that a system of mapping might be used? Thanks for your knowledge.
Michael