Hi Robert,

did you also post this question on the Japanese tools forum? I've been a bit busy of late and have fallen behind on a number of things.

Layout..I use a sumitsubo, string line, and plumb bob to develop reference lines. If I want to be really fussy, i use the sting line and mark from it with a 5mm mech. pencil, and then connect the marks with a good straightedge.

I tend to lay out exclusively with a 5mm mech. pencil, save for my Starret compass, to which I have attached a 3mm mechanical pencil. I find 5mm to be a good combination of hardiness and fineness of line.

Once I have got my layout marks, and checked it (hopefully more than once!), I knife the cross grain sections and use a kama-kebiki marking gage to score lines parallel to grain (not always). For timber frame work, I will also make a story pole, kensao, and develop complex layout full scale on 3mm door skin panels - the gen-sun as it is called. I also use a trammel extensively if i am building furniture with repetitive modules at set distances from one another - the trammel is held at that setting for the duration of the project.

I use MDF extensively for templates.

I know some furniture makers use layout poles, but I don't. There's no reason why not - it's a good idea actually - just not my habit at this point.

I tend to scribble a lot of notes and calculations on sketch pads as well.

My blog on carpentry practice, East and West:

https://thecarpentryway.blog