Hi Laura-
I have a corporation in Wisconsin (our former home state) and I have it insured there. I've worked all around the U.S. and have been asked for a certificate a few times.
In WI an officer in a corp with no insurable employees does not need to carry worker's comp. (I think Randy C told me the same is true for VT) I carry liability and disability with State Farm. I ring my agent and ask him to send out a cert. I've never had anyone look beyond the fact that disability is not really worker's comp.. Auditors seem to be satisfied and disability is MUCH cheaper than worker's comp.

A few months before we hit the road I ran an add in Scantlings. I got lots of leads from that; carried us for most of the first year. I also decided to target certain kinds of work. I became intrigued with CCC structures. An hour on-line and a few calls lead to a contact that turned in to a job.

We're off the road now, having settled on Vancouver Island. While doing the itinerant schtick I kept a minimal tool kit: Mafell beam saw & mortiser, a 7 1/4" circle saw, a 3 HP router, a laser level, an assortment of lay-out tools, chisels, and hand saws, sharpenting stuff, hand planes, big drill, battery drill, a bit of rigging, 2 Lug Alls, other sundry wrenches and hand tools. I decided things like a big planer were too specialized and infrequently used to warrant taking along. I figured either the shop I was in would supply or I could purchase one for a specific job. Or worst case I could make a run to my mother-in-law's barn in WI where all my other stuff was stored.
We were particularly cramped for space, travelling with the whole family, and so I didn't have the luxury of bringing more stuff. Bikes and skateboards took precedence.. And truthfully I didn't miss much. We were on the road for 2 1/2 years.
Hope that helps!

Chris Koehn

I think, therefore I am (I think)..
Chris Koehn
TimberGuides Design • Build