I see many barns in the northeast here that have the most beautiful brownish, black but still undoubtedly red color to the siding. It is really the most appealing finish to me and I am sure it has a lot to do with the fact that they are quite weathered already. Still I wonder if anybody knows the technique that the builders of these early barns used to provide the finish that I am describing? I know of the technique of using creosote to stain the siding but I believe this produces the dark blackish brown siding that seems to last forever. I see many of this type in the area as well and it is quite beautiful too , but I believe it is also illegal as well now. Still I much prefer the nice dark uneven blood-red( perhaps they did even use blood from slaughtering in the finish stain-paint) finish that i am describing here that seems to be some sort of stain-paint blend as well as years of weathering that produces this finish.. Anyone have any knowledge of traditional finishes and techniques for application on barn siding perhaps even the type that I am describing?? tb

Last edited by timber brained; 04/08/07 03:31 AM. Reason: grammar