In Steve's world there are two different timbers, that is an interrupted plate is one that is at the top of the wall, and has joints at the posts as show above.
An intermediate plate is the one I've shown from his drawing, copied from his web pages.
I didn't name them he did.
I agree to the lack of relish that Ken mentions and that this joint shown in his book is not a traditional joint and, in my opinion, puts the frame at high risk.
If it was a stand alone frame it wouldn't be long before it would be at extreme risk.
But one covered with sips or other sidings, and roofings this building with this frame design will stand. I don't know how long it will stand; but it does stand.
I've been to his school many times and I've seen him raise; these types of frames with these types of joints; by hand, with his students.

I would strongly suggest Michael have his frame design reviewed by someone who understand the load on his frame before he finishes his design process. Especially if he want to include some joints designed like this.

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!