I could use some advice concerning a truckload of timbers I purchased for my house frame.

The bottom line is that the timbers arrived with a large number of woodborer holes and a moisture content that was much higher than advertised.

Of the two, the borers are my primary concern. I hate to think that I’m building-in creatures that could destroy my frame. I tried treating the timbers with BoraCare. But that product turned my timbers a nasty green color. I don’t want my frame to look like it’s cut from pressure-treated pine. I am now only treating the unseen surfaces.

The high moisture content is just extremely disappointing, since I purchased my timbers from this company primarily because of their supposed stability. I was told that the timbers would be sufficiently dry that any checks would not grow. In fact, 3/8" checks have opened up and many of the timbers have twisted like crazy. Working with twisted timbers is no fun at all.

(NOTE: The timbers have been stored inside an unconditioned building. No direct sun. The building stays much cooler than the ambient temp. All the timbers were properly stacked and stickered. They've been stored for approximately 12 months.)

I understand that, as a natural product, wood is going to have defects in it. What I don’t know is the level of defects I should have expected. I expected some wane, some splits and checks, and a certain amount of sapwood.

I didn’t expect the timbers to be infested with woodborers. And, because they were advertised as partially dried and very stable, I didn't expect them to twist and check like green lumber.

To those of you who have purchased timbers (Standing Dead Doug Fir, by the way) – Are these kinds of problems normal, or should I expect some type of remedy from the supplier?

Thanks, in advance.

Jon