Ken –

My own biased interest in modeling historic framing schemes would be in typical English-tieing. ( if there can be said to be such a thing ) As you know here in New England we are surrounded by this typology, it was the dominate form for just over two hundred years. I can be in a half dozen examples within a ten minute ride. Though here in NNE common purlins, again are dominate, to a degree that could be described as universal, and from early on, the first period through to the late Federal, when English-tieing was finally abandoned, though CP’s survived this transition. I’ve long puzzled and have tried to research as to why CP’s are the dominate roof framing pattern here, having at one time assumed it to be like language and accent patterns on this side, tied to county of origin and migration patterns from your side. Yet as far as I’ve been able to determine it is not tied to any regional framing variation, or migration pattern from one. I do believe it is a successful and symbiotic combination, that redirecting thrust away from the plate makes for an excellent English-tieing frame, and would be interested in how they model in comparison to other historical English roof framing variations

I looked at a potential restoration yesterday, exceptionally fine pre-revolutionary example. ( now I’m really regretting forgetting my camera ) I have restored more than a few and build in this form more often than not.

If you would like to represent a colonial sampling in your project, I’d be happy to provide a survey and photographic / video documentation of an example or two from this corner of the former colonies.

"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/