Some very motivated and well intended posts in this thread, I think perhaps these good intentions may be slightly optimistic and misplaced though as we cannot comprehend the devastation that these coastal regions have seen. I see a couple reccommendations that could be problematic. I agree with the premise that pre-fabbed frames would be prohibitively expensive to send over. Likewise the initiative to obtain a mobile sawmill and transport it assumes that the country has timber available and suitable for framing as well as the rights for the public to cut it. Please keep in mind the majority of the devastation took place in a tropical region where the bulk of the trees are palms or a species of bamboo. Both of these are suitable for building structures but do not lend themselves to milling and timber framing in the fashion we might like. The interior forests are composed primarily of teak, mahogany and rosewood which although beautiful and workable are too valued for commercial export to be used in timber framing. Obtaining access to these forests could be a political and environmental disaster. It is only reasonable to believe that the traditional masonry/steel and bamboo construction typically utilized is probably the most practical. Perhaps the worst problem with timberframes in this region would be termites and wood eating insects.

On the positive side, maybe we could focus our efforts on building a couple frames that could be auctioned off for charity and proceeds sent to the Tsunami victims and perhaps build a frame or two for the victims of our own US disaster in CA where people have lost there homes to the recent mudslides. Both could be done quickly and efficiently with little risk and maximum participation as travel, housing, etc. would not be as difficult or expensive. My 2 cents. All good discussion!!!