Hi Laura,

I would like to see and hear things about which I have no previous knowledge or experience.

I would especially like to hear critical observations made and conclusions drawn by people that arise from the examination of old frames and past practices and better still how this might be applied in an appropriate way within a present day context to enable the production of buildings that are recogniseable, creditworthy and likely to pass the test of time.

Not everyone is fortunate enough to be able to attend a conference and so it would be advantageous to make conference proceedings available for purchase by one and all.

It is important that the small guy and new entrant should be well represented in the proceedings and that he or she should not feel overawed or disempowered by the now well versed and polished timber framing "old guard".

People need to be able to stand, be heard and even be allowed to make mistakes. Experience is gained through being allowed to make mistakes and then correcting or refining same. The wealth of experience assembled at TFG conference is quite awesome and so it would likely prove useful to develop a "facilitated" presentation or class where rookies can introduce their ideas and projects to the audience but in a careful and controlled fashion such that confidence is not dented. A huge body of experience and wealth of knowledge is gathered at conferences and oft times this simply goes untapped.

I heard a song on the radio yesterday in which a girl sang completely unaccompanied by musical instruments or fancy arrangements. The beauty of her words and the clarity of her voice was the only thing conveying the message and this was very powerfull and quite moving. It doesn't need to be complicated, sophisticated or expensive to hit the mark - "tis a gift to be simple".

Regards

Ken Hume

Looking back to see the way ahead !