Hi Zach,

The Scottish guy that you have made reference too is probably me. I was at Steve's in Brownville, Maine a few years back and do recall meeting some French Canadians however the thatcher to whom you refer is Jason Morley and he is from Kingsclere in Hampshire, England.

I spend a lot of my time examining old thatched buildings and they can indeed be pretty mouldy and damp but generally this is not the fault of the thatch but more to do with lack of dampcourses and of course the inability to fit rainwater gutters to a thatched roof which does tend to result in localised dampness in the ground surrounding the foundation line (eves dropping).

It is a good policy to maintain a temperature gradient across any old building especially those that are thatch covered and wattle and daub wall panel infilled. Generally aborbent materials can be brought back from the damp and mouldy state through heat and good ventilation provided of course that the source of any water ingress is resolved e.g. a leak in the roof.

Reed thatch (fragmytes) can and does last up to 60 years but as with any thatch it will slowly wear down and thus multiple coats tend to be built up over the centuries as the top or wearing coat is raked down to remove badly deteriorated thatch and then recoated. Oft times the layers in an old roof can be seen like the rings in a tree and very infrequently smoke blackened thatch on the underside can be found. This thatch would be about 450 years old. John Letts (a Canadian resident in England) has researched the types of straw being used in medieval times by examining the seed heads still present on some of this old smoke blackened thatch and he has a number of trial plots where is he growing strains of old fashioned thatching straw. Present day long straw or combed wheat read would be lucky to survive much beyond 25 years today before needing to be recoated with the ridge needing to be done every 12 - 15 years.

I did write and article for Thatch magazine a while back which can be downloaded from my website at :-

http://www.kfhume.freeserve.co.uk/pages/publicationspages/eavesdroppingpages/eavesdroppingframe.htm

The marriage of thatch and oak timber framing (Chene & Chaume) is one made in heaven.

Regards

Ken Hume - Master in Timber Building Conservation

Looking back to see the way ahead !