It is great to see the outpouring of support from within the Guild membership. I first read about it in Scantlings and have followed up on the thread, and i'm left wondering how best our abilities as timber framers can help those in need.

As I watch the news and look at the various websites of those working to provide relief, it is hard to ignore that buildings are overwhelmingly block and rebar. What would be an appropriate infil material for a timber structure there? Would american woods stand up to the climate and insects of south east asia in the small rural applications I think we have in mind? Would such a building be accepted by the local population?

I understand the desire to donate time and ability to things we believe are worthwhile and for which we are passionate, but having lived and worked in many developing nations, I have seen a great number of well intentioned projects fail for reasons that are difficult to comprehend let alone predict.

I believe that our best chance for helping and providing assistance to those in need as a result of the Tsunami would be through cash donations. It can be through the methods in which we choose to generate the money that we demonstrate and utilize our passion and abilities as timber framers.

Just like we do best at rendezvous and other guild functions, lets apply the 'Keep it super simple' (KISS) principle. What we can do right now on our own is create frames and educate others about the beuaty, strength and history of timber frames . We are not experts in international logistics, or asian building customs, or identifying areas of greatest need in disaster relief, so why get into that.

Let's strike while the iron is hot and make something tangible happen. The longer we draw this whole process out, the less interest will remain. Look at the pattern of subsiding entries on the thread as an example.

Talk of an international project is initially very exciting, but interest tends to dissipate as the number of logistical and practical challenges eventually lead a great number of otherwise interested folks to feel overwhelmed and hopeless. Showing interest in helping doesn't qualify as helping. Actions help.

Let's move towards actions that we can undertake within the scope of our knowledge and resources and see if we can't use these actions to provide meaningful assistance.

It is not my intention to disuade people from thinking big, jsut a fear that in doing so we will lose an opportunity to have done something timely.

Steve