To raise money to send to at target relief organization, we could build a small timber frame building. Sell this building at a public auction being held at the eastern conference in Burlington VT this fall.
Timber framers who are interested in helping could cut one or two pieces of the frame and bring them to the conference.
Then with TV coverage, newspaper coverage and open to the public, assemble the frame outside in the parking lot near the spot where the crane was at the last conference held at this site.
Then after it's assembled auction it off, we'll have an auctioneer there on site for the guild event anyhow.
This would help with exposure of the guild to the public and open up the selling of this frame to the public and hopefully raise more money.
I have two designs we use here at my workshops. One is a 14'x 16' two story shed/cabin/barn and the other is a 12'x 16' shed. The big one has 56 pieces of wood in the frame not including pegs. And the little one has around 46, not including pegs. We can also sell pegs, as is done to help raise money.
Companies or interested parties could receive a drawing of their part via email and cut it out to the specs of the drawing.
This cutting of parts by different people was done years ago by the guild, in building a home for habitat for humanity.
Doing it this way, each shop could do what they like to do, cut frame parts, and help the overall project.
Other designs could be summited and considered by a committee and get the ball rolling for completion at the fall conference.
This could also be done regionally. One in the southeast, one on the west-coast, and other areas where there are centers of timber framing.
These are just some of my ideas about how to do something to raise money, help them, and get some exposure for the guild and timber framing.
I'd be happy to help any way I can.
Jim Rogers
Jim Rogers Timber Designs
Jim Rogers Sawmill
Georgetown, MA

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!