Brad,

I think it helps to think of itinerant timber framing contractors the same way you will think about any of your other sub-contractors on the projects. Make sure they carry a general liability policy (all legitimate contractors do). In Georgia and a lot of other states, sole proprietors can not get a workers comp policy. Definitely check with your lawyer about your state's requirements and your exposure as an owner builder, bearing in mind you will face the same thing with roofers, plumbers, drywallers, painters, graders, or any other subs you hire.

As far as employee vs sub-contractor, I have always hired itinerants as subs, and when working as an itinerant I was always hired as a sub. I would think that would be the case here -- owner hires a timber framing contractor to provide expertise, tooling, and labor on their project.

As far as how to choose one -- it should be the same as hiring anybody. References, portfolio , and trust. I would not look for a bargain -- most legitimate, fully tooled, fully insured, skilled, personable itinerants I know charge in the same ballpark and earn their money.

Each guy also has different preferences/requirements relating to lodging, travel costs, per diem expenses, etc. And not all of them work for owner builders.

good luck,

gabel

Pegs,
I am curious. Why is it illegal to sub out work? If a sub we hire doesn't carry workers comp, our policy covers them and we pay for the privilege, but they are still sub-contractors.