Well the reason I'm asking all this is that, as you know, I learned Steve's mile rule technique in his class. I am preparing to build my new timberframe workshop now (and subsequently will design and build my houseframe). I do not want to leave my shop timers rough, but as nice as the house timbers. Anyway, I have picked up some reclaim Beech timbers that I plan to incorporate into my frame. They are about 9"X12" now, but I plan to have 2 faces resawn due to some light rot on one face that doesn't go very deep. I also have some pine reclaim beams that are 38ft long, 24ft long and 18feet long(8"X8" & 8"X10"). I do plan to sand these timbers for a smooth finish. I need to understand how to layout on these pieces that do not have perfectly planed faces. I am currently reading the Green Book From the TFG to try to understand scribe rule, but any advice is helpful. Another option is to go to a timberframe shop a few hours from me and see if they could teach and advise me on technique I am not familiar with.