You see...that's where I started out, I wanted to use a surface grinder to fix a chisel - to get the bevel angle and grind it back past a chip in the edge. The head of the wood working shop set me up to do it but told me that I was spending more time and effort than was needed to fix it. I am hard headed and spent two hours with the surface grinder getting the bevel where I wanted. Shortly after I started using it, I dropped the chisel on concrete and chipped the edge. That's when he explained to me how he'd fix it..first on the belt sander with a cup of water for cooling and a wood block set to about 25 degrees. It took about 5 minutes and it was as square as you can get. He had wanted to let me do the the long tedious way first on the surface grinder so I'd understand better. Doing it his way, we had it fixed and sharp in short order. You should spend more time working wood than sharpeing tools. His method is not a hack job at all, but practical and effecient. Note: after fixing the chisel on the belt sander, you can then (as I did) use wet/dry or emory paper on glass to lap and product your microedge. Actually PSA paper may be best. It comes in rolls with an adhesive back so no messing with spray glue.

Last edited by brad_bb; 12/14/07 05:14 PM.