Originally Posted By: northern hewer
Hi Andy:

Just for my 2 cents worth

I got to say that I have never read any of the above books but they sound great.

I instead broused through good research libraries and took long looks at some of the old authors from times gone by. I also examined many historic structures, You will be surprised what you will learn, and maybe some parts to the puzzles that are missing in the modern ones. I do enjoy looking at the amazing structures that are being created, pushing the timberframes to the limit seem to be the call of the day, and yet something seems to be quite beautiful about what was created in the many years gone by, and draws your eye mysteriously as you pass by, take for instance a Dutch barn on the horizon surrounded by some modern structures, which one will get the lions share of viewing?

What I am ascared of is that so many of the new arrivals to timberframing are looking at the same authors continuosly, and will end up not doing your own original thing.

to me it is like trying to create a flock of birds using only one parental line, I say to you don't be ascared to be different read everything, listen, look and examine, then create the new you and your creative art form!

See you in the future

NH

7th down from left is the house I live in and spent five years restoring which is now up for sale. It's a TF circa:1680 that
http://www.huntingtonhistoricalsociety.org/house_tour_2007.htm
you can see in my website. I just had the Huntington Hysterical (lol) choose my house as one of five to use on their tour this past Dec. 3rd.
I reckon they liked what I did. 300 people who each paid thirty bucks for the tour trampled through here..ugh. too bad I didn't see any of that money...lol. I spose it was part of a turning point for me. Maybe this house even led me on my current journey getting involved now with TF's. Maybe it was the ghost's in here's way of thanking me for saving this house which was falling off the face of the earth after 326 years.
All these things that have been happening to me all at once sure seem to almost make me superstitious (almost...lol).

The cpl of books ordered I'm sure will be the beginning of many to come to add to my already collected collection of building reading material. As it is...I'm still reading/studying through those great illustrated posts from Jim Rogers http://www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=6403.0

It'd sure be nice to get this house sold so there's less stress on me and I can REALLY get my hands into some TF'ing and all that goes along with it. Landing a great gig for some company that will further me along would be great. Never worked for anyone before but it's all good...whatever gets you from point A to point B is what its all about.
It's all about the journey...right?
See you in the future as well...ya never know : )

Have a great new year
Namaste'
andy

Last edited by andybuildz; 12/30/07 03:06 AM.