bradbb, Sobons book is quite thorough, and as Mark mentioned, it is tricky to put into words. You could take a class in square rule. As in a former post "many ways to skin a cat", maybe to many.

I have some questions for you. Is this your first project? Other than your experience at Fox Maple have you done any framing on your own? I also spent a week at Fox Maple, 11 years ago. I am assuming you are going to use the timbers you talk about in your blog. There for, the questions on lay out of rough stock. While at F. M. you were taught mill rule, which doesn't work with the stock you have collected. So, what to do? Take another work shop. Have the timber resawn. Do as Dr. Mark suggests. Or maybe all three. Well, I could go on but I have a scrub plane to sharpen, by the way do you have a scrub plane, they work nice for taking down those high spots. Lie-Nielsen makes a nice one. One more thing, you may have to eaze off the anal-retentiveness in some areas when working with these rough timbers, but use it when needed, that is the tricky part. Tim