Yes this will be my first project (my new workshop) since taking the class at Foxmaple, Other than a set of oak bunkbeds I built using the techniques from the class and my chisels. All chiseled mortice and tennons and mill rule on white oak 3X2 stock. That was before I bought my unisaw.
Yes we only learned mill rule at the Foxmaple course. Actually, over the last 6 months I have been learning all of the things we didn't get to touch on at the course. I realize that in only one week, Foxmaple crammed in as much information and hands on as I could handle at one time, hence the name "Introductory course". It was all we could do to learn what was presented that week. It was a solid foundation for continued learning.
My plan is to use square rule where possible. I will be having some of my reclaim resawn to get to the dimensions I need. I'm thinking I mentioned my retentiveness somewhere that you picked up on. I now like to say that it's a pursuit of perfection. It'll never be perfect, but you can pursue it.
No I don't have any hand planes yet. I've got my chisels though for tennons.