First off --thanks Gabel for the directions reference the uploading of the images from Photobucket, it worked great, and I am a little smarter now I printed out the directions and have them hanging right by my side on the filing cabinet.

Jim:

A few years ago now when I helped host the TTRAG conference here in Morrisburg,I was examining an old collection of timberframe structures to obtain interesting construction details to fill in my lecture that I was asked to deliver.

This photo is of a 3 bay driveshed built about 186o. The age I derived from the saw marks, and type of nails used in its construction.

It emphasizes the pressure exerted on the tie joint, and a joint failure happening. The problem seems to be not in the placement of the wood pins from the face of the joint, but rather the height from the tie beam to the upper main plate. The building would have collapsed years ago but one of the previous owners had taken the initiative to stretch cable in a couple of places from one side of the building at the upper plate level to the other side. Unfortunately not enough support was given at this point.

I am very careful in my remarks to say that all the old time timberframers made no mistakes because they certainly did, and this is one of the classic examples of trying to obtain additional headroom in the upper part of a driveshed by raising the height of the upper plate above the tie beam.

Hope you enjoy

NH