My experience with getting a long log cut was frustating. I had some beautiful tall, straight tulip poplar. Log buyers did not want them, no market in this area. Not that there is a market for much these days. The Amish do most of the log work here on the Ohio/PA border. They keep most of it for use in their community. Hemlock is "gold".

I found an old-timer who was running a mill behind his house, an old Frick mill. He claimed he could cut a long log but when it came down to it he said it was "a lot of monkeying around". So that meant that I had to push him a bit. Had to get involved in the process. Like suggest taking out a wall of his enclosure, and bringing some help over and my tractor with loader. He gradually came around and was "sold" once he saw I was serious about it. And that being off by a 1/4" was not a big deal. Actually think that he had trouble even thinking "long" because there is so little call for it these days. He would gladly do it again. He gets paid by the bd ft. As long as I helped move the material around, he was happy.

Hauling these logs was a challenge as well. Some had to be lifted one end at a time. 35' was about the longest we handled. The distance to the mill was only a few miles so we only ran on improved roads for a bit.

The economy being what it is, it would seem to me that there would be some interest in "fooling around with these logs if you looked for the "little guy".

Greg