In studying wood science I learned that fast growth oak (or any ring-porus wood) is stronger than slow groth: the opposite is true for nonring-porus woods. In other words, if you are using oak and want it to be as strong as possible, look for fast growth lumber. For strong pine, look for slow growth.

Ken, I am still hopeful to learn the origin and distribution of this connecting girt framing style. I am glad to read that you will keep your eye out for them in Old England.

Derek, I am not sure what you mean about timberframing having been in America for 14,000 years. Anyway, we are primarily talking about 19th century framing.

Tedd, it is interesting that you take such a forward-looking view of building design. I am totally focused on looking backward at historical examples and trying to identify the ethnic origin and progression of framing techniques in North America (primarily Maine), but I do very much respect the modern approaches to wooden joinery, craftsmanship, and building design. Maybe someday the modern level of craftsmanship will approach the historic timber framing examples given in Hermann Phelps book (the English translation) The Craft of Log Building!

Jim

The closer you look the more you see.
"Heavy timber framing is not a lost art" Fred Hodgson, 1909