Jack does not use a computer so he cannot answer peresonally here. I do not know him too well but I will share what I know.

Jack is a liscensed architect who has been studying historic timber framing for over two decades. He is a hands on researcher: for example, one of his recient topics has been English barns. In studying English barns, he built one at his house using traditional methods and tools, even raising it by himself with a gin pole.

Jack and Tedd Benson, who reciently replied to the interupted plate thread on this forum, have come to represent two opposing philosophies of timber framing: study and reproduce traditional frames using old techniques to relearn some of the lost information verses Tedd's forward looking, modernistic approach.

Jack, sponsored by the National Park Service, put together the book Historic American Timber Joinery: A Graphic Guide. To me this book is a very important record of wooden building joints in North America. He has collected information on about 12 more joints which were not included in the first edition and there are probably more out there. Everyone should have this book and when an unrecorded joint is located, the information should be recorded and sent to Jack. Not to be critical, but this book does not (yet) include information on the use of wall planks such as plank-on-frame or true plank houses, the shapes of posts (gunstock, joweled, taipered, etc.), or some nailed joints (hip jack rafters are usually nailed onto the hip rafters).

Currently he is studying steeples. One big advantage Jack has in not using a computer is the steeple drawings he has been producing for Timber Framing are so complex they cannot be done with a CAD system, only by hand (so far!).

I am sure there is alot more to the story.

Jim

The closer you look the more you see.
"Heavy timber framing is not a lost art" Fred Hodgson, 1909