I have attended a Jack Sobon workshop taught at the Shaker Village in Hancock, MA. And I speak to him at least several times a year, on my travels to the western side of our state.

Part of his personal history is that he worked for Richard Babcock of Williamstown, MA for many years while going to college for architecture. Richard Babcock has written several books most of which are self published, so the only way you can get one is to buy it from him. I had the opportunity to listen to Richard Babcock speak at a guild conference once. At that time I bought a book from him.

His business was to take apart frame of barns and houses, repair and re-erect these frames. Sometimes for private clients, sometimes for historic associations and/or groups. Lots of these were done in MA and up and down the Hudson River valley of NY.

When you read Jack Sobon's book of Historic Joinery you'll see in the notes where the joint was found. That is what size and type the building it was used in, and it's geographical location in the States. It is possible that lots of these joints where found as he worked for Richard, as a young man.

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!