Hi Joel;

I could use some guidance on how much we can stray from timber framing in the glossary. For example, roof pitch is fundimental, but should we go into the variety of historic roof pitches which have been given names such as pediment pitch and gothic pitch and "square roof"? This leads to the names which have been given to roof shapes such as mansard, monitor, hip, etc.

What about types of barns like swing beam, swisser, English, Yankee, etc.

Can I include lumbering terms such as cant, balk, deal, plank, batton, flitch, etc. Most terms from related trades are probably too far removed to be included here, though there are terms like wrought (past tense of work) which can apply to wood as well as metal.

Is it a goal to create a sophisticated reference which lists the word origins, dates of use, etc. or keep it simple, like the title "timber framing for beginners" implies.

If the goal is to keep it simple, I think it would be interesting if there could be an appendix for advanced users where dictionaries and glossaries of interest to building historians and related trades could be listed. These could number in the hundreds.

Is there a way to include drawings with the glossary? Illistrations often make graphic discriptions much easier to understand.

Ken is right, this could be addicting!

Jim

The closer you look the more you see.
"Heavy timber framing is not a lost art" Fred Hodgson, 1909