The visit is now re-comfirmed: July 12 is the date. Anyone interested please send a me private email for directions/time, etc. I think there are 5 of us so far, which leaves room for about 5 more.

Plotting these barns on a map is something that needs to be further researched for any informative conclusions. There are many many barns in this particular area of Gray, New Gloucester and North Yarmouth, Maine. The three we're planning to look at are all in Gray and span about 80 years. The historical society was able to date one of the scribed CG barns to 1805-1815. This is likely the earliest CG of the three we'll visit.

They're fairly close together (3-4 miles), but not in any distinct pattern. Some are working-man's barns w/ crude round rock foundations, others are next to prominent brick houses. Their foundations mortared, split granite.

I've looked at 20 barns here formally, and the CG phenomenon is found in about a fifth of them. I really need to look at more barns in the area to make a better determination of a pattern. How unexpected! If only I had time to knock on all the doors (before the fall down or burn)... There are easily 200 barns in these three towns, so my survey of 20 is only a tenth of what's regional... If these are unique, I'll find the time to make a better survey. Still hoping Vermont folks will chime in here to contribute on that regions CGs, which would help determine how unique the typology is.

By the way, I consider a true CG to be absent of top plates entirely, not just sectioned top plates... the "connecting girt" is clearly below the base of the rafter/ crosstie. Anyone else have thoughts on defining a true "CG." ???

Population density is an interesting factor to consider. Gray is/was the largest of the towns in terms of population, but it's early to say if this town has most of the CGs.

Indeed, barns w/out borders. May the education continue...

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...