Nice post Jim,

And the photos help explain things. I can see how the use of the 6x7 timbers is quite effective to be able to slide in a jack platform, etc. But unless you have access to a mill (like yourself) getting these "odd sized" cribs would be a challenge. Not to mention expensive... standard sized cribs are probably easier to get. All you'd have to do is get a few smaller ones for a jacking platform or insert layers of planking.

As to Tim's question about crib rot,

It didn't take me long to realize that most timber restorations (at least that I've seen) shun pressure treated stock. One guy I asked this to who specializes in only restorations said "there's no strength to it... it's just pine."

But I think most PT is southern yellow pine, which is plenty strong--much stronger than white pine-- Anyway, he chooses larch (tamarack) for ground- contact replacement timber. (he found a steady supplier for this somewhere). Maybe this would be a good choice for cribbing?

I like choosing something other than PT simply for the aesthetics. It aint traditional, you know... but PT would make good cribbing!

What about cedar? I used to be able to get eastern white 6x6 "cut-offs" random legnths from a fencing company--- post ends. They actually had stuff 2-3' long most times.

Linseed oil has always been a tried-and-true preservative, too.

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...