Hi everyone:

I guess this topic is a bit of a no winner, the whole group of us live in very different locals with very different early histories and cultures.

there is no doubt that small circular saws were working in many parts of North America prior to them appearing in others, and no doubt that sawn timber appeared earlier in some areas than others, just due to the constant flow of "new"
technology

So with this in mind I would say we are all right in some of the arguments and statements that have been made, but one has to be careful not to stress that one example applies to the whole area of the country because it is not like that.

In the sept 01 post of "housewright" pertaining to the long purlin that was hewn and then taken to a vertical mill and sawn in half, in my opinion would not have happened, for starters why not saw out the purlins in the first place if such a mill could have accomodated such long timber, not to mention just what kind of wagon would have been able to move such a long log.

I have no doubt that it was sawn through the centre but for sure it was sawn right at the site of the barn raising with a whip or better known as a pit saw.

You all put up come very good points and arguments, and I am sure that everyone looking in, will learn from the information contained in all your posts, I for one enjoy reading and sharing my views

Good topic

NH