Hi everyone:

Well this thread is really generating alot of good comraderie comments (english wasn't my best subject back when I went to SS#10)

All water turbines worked below water level but around here during the coldest part of the year ice flows would jam the trash gates and usually curtail operations at least sporatically if not indefinitely for a period of 2 to 3 months.

Just remember that water wheels even though they are submerged would send the power transmission upwards or sideways through a pressure gland, and it would be at these spots that freezing problems would develop big time.

I sort of take to task the undershot waterwheel that is submerged. I have had the opportunity to study extensively waterwheels of all different varieties, and undershot wheels had to be situated above the level of the tailraces for them to operate. This also goes for overshot wheels and breast wheels, . Turbines had to be submerged but to work operate properly they were contained in a pressure or open box, and also had to be above the level of the tailrace. The later models had venturie tubes of various lengths to deliver the spent water in a controlled manner down to the tailrace, in doing so the weight of the falling water created a pull on the wheel increasing the horsepower.

The 16" "undershot wheel" reference I believe refers to the width of the buckets on the undershot wheel, someone correct me if I am wrong

For sure if the mill was sawing timber stock it would kick up the stats considerably, and could have been part of the equation.

NH