Hey All,

I've decided my first (of consequence) TF attempt will be in a house we have gutted and will be moving into. I plan on giving the building inspector a detailed plan for approval before I cut (or order) anything, but I don't want to submit something way out of whack and would appreciate any feedback the members here might have. The basic idea is to replace the supporting wall in the center of the 24'x36'house with an 8x10 beam supported by two posts and the exterior walls. Ceiling joists will be 6x4 beams. I picked these dimensions after doing the math, but I want to see if the math is solid.

I originally had a pretty long post planned with all my calculations shown, but I realized that if I was off at any point in the calcs the rest of the math was moot. Because of that, I think I'll ask a few questions up front and then be able to evolve the thread with the correct math.

My first questions are merely to get this thread started. I'm not asking for a free lunch and want to understand the math behind my decisions, but I need some basic info to get the rest of my calculations on track. I've been referencing the TFG Red Book and using Don P's priceless calculator at http://www.windyhilllogworks.com/Calcs/beamcalc.htm , but I can't find the answers to a few things:

When calculating the beam b+d, do I have to used the undisturbed wood in the cross section or does the entire beam count despite the repeated 36" OC joist mortises? As you see in the picture, it doesn't seem fair to use a full 8x10 beam, but a 4x10 or 8x7 doesn't seem fair either.

Same goes for the joist itself, I'd like a 6" wide exposed joist for aesthetics. If I only lay 3 inches deep into the beam and curve it out to the full 4 inches, do I only get to calculate for a 6x3? (I know that 4x6 is much stronger in bending than 6x4, I just wanted beefier looking exposed joists without removing a lot of material from the beam)

I appreciate your help on this.