Well, here's an update.

I did make phone contact with 123Gen, by phone and later with an email, but have heard nothing since. Hopefully 123Gen will reappear!

I put out a group e-mail message to the 13 or 14 people who have expressed interest so far. I decided to set an admission bar, of sorts, by requiring that any prospective member first have completed the hopper and sawhorse, as I detailed in TFG #78 and #79, before they can commence roof layout study. This ensures that all participating members will be roughly on the same page. Japanese layout is not an easy field of study, and you've got to be pretty determined and motivated to get into it, so I've set a couple of small projects that serve as a sort of river to cross before taking the plunge.

Meetings are likely to be happening on a 2 month interval. Location is still not finalized, and in fact may vary between meetings.

Once we get started on a new roofing model, which will probably take, given a meeting frequency of 8 weeks, most of the year to complete, new members will have to wait and work on getting their hopper and sawhorse done. Then, when it's time for the group to start a new model, any new members can hop in at that point. This is how things are envisioned at this early juncture anyhow. I want to keep the study group alive and growing, and providing learning challenges to all members while still allowing room for new people to join in at convenient times.

That's all for now,

Chris

My blog on carpentry practice, East and West:

https://thecarpentryway.blog