I'm wondering what folks think - so I will throw a couple things out here, at the risk of getting a bit preachy:
Should the Guild have a forestry policy? and why?
In my opinion, absolutely, and here is why:
If the Guild's mission is to promote the craft of timberframing, I would assume that insuring the future of the craft is inextricably linked to this mission. At a point in history where sustainability is arguably becoming the most important underlying issue in all facets of modern society, now is the time for us to examine where we stand on forestry management and forestry issues in general.
Our work demands an appreciation of sustainable forestry and its importance in overall ecological health. Who better than us to recognize the potential in providing building material as well as forests' critical role in a healthy and functioning ecosystem?
I am not a professional ecologist, but even a limited understanding tells us that in general a functioning forest ecosystem is resilient and sustainable when it is diverse and harvested with an appropriate degree of respect. Do your timbers come from forests like this? Does it matter to you? Could your business prosper if it did?
People have always been motivated by the power of vision, be it personally or as a group. Building timberframe structures is an activity that ties our group through simple methods more directly to the trees than other construction technologies- with relatively unprocessed material we can share a vision that protects our long term future as a craft and recognizes the importance of working within the limits of natural systems.

If you have some down time this winter, and are interested in raw material cycles- check out The Story of Stuff