Hi Mo,

I sent a note earlier today to Dr. David Yeomans and he has just come back to me with the following interesting information concerning Mo's post and which I am posting here on his behalf :-

" Thanks for bringing this to my attention. A more comprehensive account of the Serlian floor can be found in 'The Serlian Floor', Architectural Research Quarterly, 2 (1997), 74-83 an article by me and refers, inter alia, to the floor at Independence Hall shown by Mo. The origin of Mo's illustration is:- Nelson, Lee, 'Independence hall: its fabric reinforced' in Peterson, Charles E., Building Early America, Radnor, Pa: 1976. Lee Nelson worked for the National Park Service and was the architect in charge of this restoration. It was he who got me interested in restoration. I think Lee used the term hand-in-hand framing. The first published account of it is by Serlio - hence the term that I use, but Villard d'Honnecourt shows something similar used for scaffolding.

I'm not sure how I would add this information myself as I'm not a member of the Timber Framers Guild."

Regards

K Hume p.p. Dr. David Yeomans, Manchester, England.

Looking back to see the way ahead !