Hi Mo,

I have experienced on several occasions when I have established conceptual and / or working designs that once these are delivered into the hands of others that a perceived change in ownership can take place especially where money has changed hands. The builder has a high public visibility and is often credited with the work whereas in fact he really might do nothing more than construct the ideas of others. There are also opposities to this experience, for example, it is generally accepted that Hugh Herland devised, designed and built the new hammer beam roof for Westminster Hall (1390's) but it is unlikely that he built this himself. It is more likely that someone like the Bishop of Winchester who maintained a large workforce and operated in a similar fashion as a general contractor does today actually built this edifice. Who should get the credit ?

Thanks for the illustration and the term "Hand-in-Hand" now makes perfect sense.

I can send you a PM of the full refs for the books referenced by Dr. David Yeomans if that will help you with your researches.

The author of the Reciprocal Frames book - Dr. Olga Popovic will attend the UK Carpenters Fellowship Frame 2009 event in September and this will provide those interested in this technique with an opportunity to learn a bit more about her researches on this and other timber framing topics.

This is a good post Mo and has promoted interesting discussion. More please.

Regards

Ken Hume

Last edited by Ken Hume; 02/04/09 09:16 AM.

Looking back to see the way ahead !