Wow. Were in quite the soup here.

CULTURE

Culture is a very hard thing to change. If gambrel has been falsely applied, which given the dictionary examples looks like it has, it doesn't change the fact that culture is a very stubborn animal. A formal change could happen today in all the carpentry texts, but culture would ignore it. History shows that culture trumps academics and even law. Always. At least at first.

For example, slavery was abolished through legislation but culture was way way way behind in its recognition of emancipation.

Chris, perhaps it would help us to know why this whole matter is so important to you. We're not talking about folks ignoring scientific discovery, we're talking about a name for a roof. I think we all salute your passion for the craft, and you're a good teacher, but why is it so vital to change this "misappropriation?"

Language is a science, and it seems you've been arguing, correlating and supporting your point from strictly scientific angles. But culture (the trade) is what we're ultimately talking about, I think. Language is the voice of culture, that as we've said, ebbs and flows. Words change.

I don't mean to trivialize the matter w/ a simple analogy , but potato chips are called crisps in the UK...just different names for the same thing. Different because of CULTURE.

Anyway, It is an interesting thing you've brought here. I for one am glad you share your research. Keep it up!

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...