Originally Posted By: Chris Hall
death to sips

perhaps better than 'death to sips' would be death to creating buildings where they don't really fit.

a traditional timber frame doesn't make much sense where there aren't many trees, or where there is a propensity for earthquakes or obnoxiously high wind loading. and a SIP enclosure wouldn't make much sense if we had codes and code enforcement officials that honored the local traditions... whatever they may be now that we've paved over much of our traditions with sprawl and Everywhere, USA. (where everyman and woman can pick up every product they might want while driving down Everywhere Circle in their Everycar...)

i think intelligent design should be re-appropriated from the religious folks and applied to construction. intelligent design may mean that as much as we may want our friends to succeed with their timber frame businesses - a timber frame doesn't make sense in every location, or for every design problem - just as a sod house, straw clay house, clay tile house, or cord wood house do not make sense in all locations. because what is true when engaging in real estate investment or sex holds true in building design - location, location, location should be more important than big wood and fancy curves. the local environment should drive what we are doing. and many times it does not.

(and i'm unfortunately as guilty as most, so you can hang me by my endless slings from a hand peeled gin pole when the revolution comes)

Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com