Originally Posted By: TIMBEAL
Bob Hadden's work is incredible. I should get a subscription to the Mortice and Tenon. My interest has been perked, thanks, Joel.

It is amazing how some people can have such an objectionable opinion toward natural building material. Yesterday a life long friend came completely apart when I tried explaining my future plans to construct a clay/chip wall on an addition to my own home. It was not the first time someone has had difficulty with "Mud" being used to build with, like it is downgrading, or inferior. I was completely taken aback.

Tim

Tim,

I've noticed the same phenomenon. It's a real obstacle to these building methods being used more. I guess the answer is just keep exposing people to it. What did Ghandi say? "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

I, too, have become obsessed with the relationship between earth, lime, and timber. I am just starting the planning of my personal house and am weighing all the options. Mud brick? Cob? Woodchip clay? Time for more research...

You really need to come to the Eastern Conference this year in Saratoga Springs and talk to Rob Hadden -- he's a great guy and really loves to share what he knows. He is a good presenter and has a ton of good info and experience about building with clay and lime. He's just a really nice guy. (Also Jack Sobon will be there presenting, and possibly Laurie Smith).