Hi everyone looking in on this topic:

I can't express my appreciation greatly enough to thank each and everyone of you that have submitted and joined in on this topic.

Over the years of assessing historic structures one of the first things that I would pry out in some obscure spot was a nail and if it proved to be a cut or blacksmith produced example then my glance would wander on, the nail type would be of first importance. This nail and others would be saved and examined at a later time and place.

My glance then would be up to the undisturbed roof boards, to note the saw marks, I would then look at the braces to see if they were sawn or hewn, the size and cross section examination of the vertical timbers, and if any unusual framing characteristics were immediately observable.

You are never too old to learn, and this week I have certainly added to my knowledge of nails mainly through your efforts, and I thank all of you.

I may refer verbally to Chris How's paper if I now am asked for a more knowledgeable reply-- I hope that is OK Ken?--.

NH