I ran across this company while looking for restoration materials. They can analyze and remix old mortars. That would be neat to know how that's done...
http://ushg.macusa.net/heritagestore.php

I've used silane/siloxane on old brick a couple of times and it seems to help make them more water repellant without affecting the color or breathability. I've seen far more masonry contribute to rot than help keep something dry. I would isolate, backer rod and chink the interface of masonry and wood here.

The spelling must change across borders? Webster's and a quick google all showed the G.

Reading back to the first "codes", the first codified or written laws, those of Hammurabi, King of Ur, who wrote them in stone and posted them in the town square... uniformity in the application of the law.

Codex... the trunk of a tree... a block of wood... a tablet with the law carved on it.

Anyway, the law that has made it down to us as "breaking and entering" first comes from his laws and relates to breaking through the thin wattle and daub walls of his time and entering into another man's home to steal.

I heard the other day that 1/3 of our population is in prison.
Hammurabi didn't imprison anyone. The thief was buried outside the hole in the wall.