I'm suprised I haven't found anything on this in the archives:

I'm curious to hear how others are estimating their joinery time. I'm frustrated by how long it takes some of my seemingly experienced employees to cut joinery. I don't know if I'm expecting too much or not because I don't have enough background on anyone but, well, mainly myself to guage by. Has anyone published estimating time tables based on historic data? Is there already a thread on this I haven't found? If there is no such thing in existance, well, here is our chance to be first at something...

Now before this turns into a bragging session, I'm talking about honest estimates, you PR for one joint is of no interest to anyone. We'll, maybe that can be a whole 'nother thread... I'm looking for your daily pace knowing you have to get up and do it all over again tomorrow: nice work done with efficiency and safety in mind. If we're doing this for a living we're in one of two groups: trying to make ourselves money, or trying to make our boss money, and we're all trying to produce quality work.

We all have varying techniques and are working in different situations and with different species and styles or timber, which can easily cloud the question.

So to standardize this as much as possible, lets assume a fresh cut pine timber is sitting in front of you, on horses in a level-floored shop and your tools are all at hand, layout has already been done and all you have to do is cut.

How long does it take you to produce a nicely finished:

2"x8"x8" long tenon
2"x8"x4 deep unhoused mortise
a 2' long halved and bladed scarf (2 8x8s)
make typical brace tenons (one in each end of a 3x5 brace)

all complete with peg holes and ready for assembly.

I'll get things started with what I use for estimating time on each of the above: 30 minutes, 30 minutes, 2 hours and 30 minutes. Of course, when I do a real estimate I account for set-up, layout, coffer break, screw-ups etc... but let's keep this simple.

I look forward to your responses and thanks for sharing.

Shaun

Shaun Garvey
berkshirebarns.com
Dalton, MA