I have often thought piece meal could work for pay compensation on the shop floor. You get paid for the volume of wood removed, this of course would be applied to a fairly well cut joint, accurate. A, 2"x8"x4" mortice and it's 1"x8"x9" housing equals .944 board feet, time(x) three (three bents) equals 2.832 board feet of wood removed. In case you are wondering these are the pockets for post on a top plate. To layout and cut these it takes 30 minutes each, 1.5 hours total. Here is the variable, what do you pay per hour? Is this being paid to the new kid with not a care in the world, or the new kid with a wife and 2 kids, or to the older fellow, single and no other obligations? Do you consider these factors in the pay for work completed? Let me stretch this out a bit further, is this home for a school teacher or a AIG CEO who works for a buck/year and receives $millions in bonuses for that year, or a farmer that needs a place for his hay and animals? Just thought I would through this in as another glitch in the pricing dilemma.

I am going to plead the 5th on how I address that issue.

Tim