sound like Gabel and Jim just about covered it. I know in most cases the group usually sets the standard for how fast and quality which one can produce. If one is not at that level, he should at least be trying really hard to get there, if not there is probably a problem.
It seems that some work at a faster pace, but as long as an employee has work ethic they will be potentially efficient enough to employ. Unfortunately, I find these people with self contained work ethic realy rare and the rest often will try to get away with what they can. It is the person that feels wrong for being paid, while not producing the work he/she is being paid to do, that I always look for when hiring an employee.
I do know repetition , templates, chain mortisers, are all really helpful to attaining more speed and efficiency.
Also when it is affordable to hire a helper to sharpen,care for the tools, help with all those odds and ends does really speed up the cutting. Usually this helper can be paid much less. In the restaurant business we call them dishwashers, though they often end up doing a lot more than washing dishes. tb